Monday, January 2, 2012

Ultra Training: Jan 2-8


Week Totals:
Miles: 104 mi
Vertical: 10,400'
Summits: Green Mtn, Flagstaff Mtn
Notes: 4 weeks until San Tan 50k in Arizona, 1st race of 2012.
A New Year Begins
 Mon:

 30 mi; 3,500' vertical; Whole Foods (Town of Superior) to Chataqua Park via Marshall Mesa, Doudy Draw, and Mesa. Joined by Jeremy and Sean.  Incredible temps of 40-50 deg. Wet sloppy trails and lots of ice still. Everyone using microspikes or shoes w/screws.

Sean and I climbing an ice-free section of Mesa Trail


Most of the trail looks like this right now...

A view of the front range from S. Boulder

Tues:

15 mi; 2,300' vert, Mesa Trail & Eagle Loop. Incredible temps in the low 50s, despite uncommon gray skies.  Muddy trails w/very icy sections. Took a nasty fall and might lose a fingernail (better than a tooth). No other significant damage. Pretty happy today when I saw that my little post "Through Endurance" became so popular and passed around on forums and such. I'm glad I posted that.


My Truth in Lyrics:
"Upside Down"by Jack Johnson

Who's to say
What's impossible



Well they forgot
This world keeps spinning

And with each new day
I can feel a change in everything


And as the surface breaks reflections fade
But in some ways they remain the same


And as my mind begins to spread its wings
There's no stopping curiosity

I want to turn the whole thing upside down
I'll find the things they say just can't be found

I'll share this love I find with everyone
We'll sing and dance to Mother Nature's songs.
I don't want this feeling to go away
 

I love this playground
 Wed:

15 mi; Dry Creek Trail; Started dehydrated but took a while to figure out what was up.  Fixed it early and had a good run. Memories of run...Urban Llamas, not-so-dry creeks, and guys who were 'born to run' much slower than they run.

Urban Llama


Not-So-Dry Creek



This dude jumped on trail in front of me and faded hard over 2 mi.
 He was 'Born to Run' much slower it seems. I nailed the coffin shut
when I pulled my cell phone out to make a call as I passed. Sorry bro.
 Thurs:

10 mi; Cherry Creek Reservoir; Tempo run. Unbelievable 62 deg temp...clear skies. I got stuck out of my routine due to a work obligation.  Unfamiliar with the area, I texted a friend who sent me some ideas.  I ran hard through various interconnected trails at the reservoir...most of which came to a dead-end.  Pieced together, I squeezed in a 10 miler in the middle of this incredible day of perfect weather.


The ice atop the water floats north and forces itself against the rocky shore


I always enjoy spending time with these friends

Pretty good day I must say...

Fri:

13 mi; Cowdre Draw & Community Ditch, low zone 3 run on rolling hills. Muddy trails. I approached my turn-around time and found these cows. They're vegan you know? So I hung out for a couple minutes.


You're blocking my view cow!

New Vegan Friends
Always thank the trail.
Sat:

AM: 8 mi; 3,800' vert. Flagstaff Mountain/Green Mountain. Ran w/Sherpa John & Josh. On very little sleep, I forced myself to the trailhead for a sunrise summit of Flagstaff/Green Mtn.  We had a great climb and I wished I had my microspikes the whole way.  Regardless, we bagged two summits before 9 am as the storm clouds rolled in.



Flagstaff trails shortly after sunrise
 
A descent of the canyon back to Chataqua

Boulder baby!
Summit of Green

PM: 10 mi; 700' vert; Out n back across open space west of Superior to Marshall Mesa. The snow started falling and accumulated 1/2" in the 90 minutes I was on the trail.  The air is relatively warm, in the high 30s and I took some time to reflect on my week. 


Sun:

 3 mi; Dry Creek Trail; 1" of fresh white powder and blue skies. I learned last year of the bald eagle that sits on a specific tree at about 10:30am.  A bird watcher explained the daily routine of this incredible bird.  A few weeks ago, I took a picture of him sitting in that tree.  Today, he took flight as I approached. I took a quick picture as he flew into the sky.


A photo I took two weeks ago...

His morning flight today

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”

-Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments to Rise Over Run...I read all the comments and appreciate your time in sharing your thoughts. Run long, eat plants........Jerry